The world’s urban population is growing rapidly. Investments in the public transport sector are therefore increasing significantly in order to provide faster and more reliable intra-agglomeration and intercity transport solutions.
- Increase the capacity of existing lines (CBTC, automated underground lines, etc.)
- Develop international industrial competitiveness
- Diversify and adapt the product offer to local markets (e.g. high speed in China)
The integration of digital technologies in the rail sector will make it possible to manage increasingly complex traffic flows, ensure the interoperability of different transport models (smartcity) and improve safety and passenger comfort. At the same time, advances in predictive maintenance will improve equipment uptime and reduce maintenance costs.
- Connect digital and IT skills (Big Data, Cloud, Cybersecurity…) to the specificities of the rail sector and its regulations
- Ensure the security of critical data and systems and improve the available data processing
- Integrate new transport solutions (electric bus, car sharing, etc.)
Massive urbanization, the need for interoperability between the various European countries in order to respond to the opening of competition, and the electrification of rail lines for carbon-free transport, require huge investments in the renovation and creation of new rail infrastructures.
- Ensure an increasingly stringent safety requirement (SIL4)
- Supporting the upgrading of the rail network (ERTMS)
- Anticipate technological obsolescence (e.g.: GSM-R vs LTE/5G)
In both maritime transport and military marine, the shipbuilding industry sector is strengthening the development of innovative solutions (e.g. artificial intelligence, cyber security, etc.) and digital manufacturing solutions (e.g. Industry 4.0, augmented reality, etc.). The time to market (design and construction) of a ship will be considerably reduced. The ship of tomorrow will be more interconnected and much more automated, while offering greater operational capabilities (e.g. autonomy). It will also have a better availability rate thanks to predictive maintenance, 3D printing of spare parts on board, and faster modernization operations.
- Integrate industry 4.0 to find a new way to organize the means of production (collaborative PLM software platform, automation, monitoring interface, AR/VR…)
- Master digital skills (Big Data, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence, IoT network…)
- Experiment with disruptive solutions and new services (e.g. Chatbot, autonomous ship…)