A hardware developer designs and constructs the technical-physical components of a device – the hardware. He designs the system, selects components, builds prototypes and coordinates the layout development. He generally has in-depth specialist knowledge in the area of software development since the development of modern, digital hardware requires the use of complex design tools, and good programming skills are a prerequisite for this. He creates circuitry concepts and circuit diagrams, which are then put into operation. He designs circuit board layouts and programmes electronic components for programmable logical devices (PLDs), as well as microchips and microcontrollers. He develops and simulates algorithms for digital signal and image processing, which he implements by means of powerful processors and FGPAs. He is therefore often also referred to as an electronics developer or hardware designer.
A hardware developer is also involved in the subsequent construction of prototypes and often also in the test phase. He is responsible for maintenance and testing as well as for the preparation of manufacturing documents and product documentation. Thanks to the wide variety of his tasks, he normally has a wide range of skills to offer, ranging from: measurement technology, EMC-compliant circuitry and device design through low-frequency and high-frequency development and simulation through to VHDL/Verilog programming and the subsequent logic simulation.
Tools & know-how in hardware development
- HF design (ADS, CST, MWO)
- digital design (FPGA, CPLD, ASIC)
- hardware programming (VHDL, Verilog)
- microcontrollers (8051, ARM)
- logic simulation (INCISIVE, ModelSim)
- wireless networks (WLAN, Bluetooth, ZigBee)
- protocols & interfaces (Ethernet, USB, UART, DDR-AXI)
- layout development (Altium Designer, Orcad, PADs, EAGLE)
- automotive (CAN ,LIN, FlexRay, Autosar)
- test automation (LabVIEW, Simulink)
- DSP (MATLAB, Code Composer Studio)
Hardware developer jobs
See all our job offers for hardware developers in our job market.